SEA4KET at a glance and SEA programs proven principles
SEA4KET (Semiconductor Equipment Assessment for Key Enabling Technologies) is taking the consequent step from equipment R&D to equipment assessment experiments. The strategic objective is to effectively combine resources and expertise in a joint assessment of novel equipment for key enabling technologies to foster and accelerate the successful transfer of novel European equipment into the world-wide market.
SEA4KET builds on the proven principle established in previous European SEA programs and projects:
- Take novel, innovative and promising equipment, that has left the R&D phase, into a joint assessment activity
- Collaboration of equipment supplier, end-user and research institute to perform assessment experiments for one specific equipment and finally develop the equipment according to the end-user’s specifications
- Bridge the well-known gap between the phase of having an engineered tool available and finding the “first user” for it
While proven principles from previous SEA activities are kept, SEA4KET takes them to the new field of assessing equipment for Key Enabling Technologies: SEA4KET concentrates on process and metrology systems for important enablers of future technologies: 450 mm wafer equipment, SiC material and 3D processing. The proposal comprises 14 sub-projects each dedicated to a specific equipment. The assessment activities were to a lesser extent chosen by “high S&T” excellence, but by their expected chance on the market.
SEA4KET will significantly strengthen the European equipment and material industry for the emerging market for Key Enabling Technologies in a sustainable way by combining advanced R&D with equipment assessment involving users, institutes and equipment suppliers – with specific benefit for the SME suppliers.
Semiconductor Equipment Assessment Objectives
- Strengthening the European equipment industry
- Bring together critical mass of research and development power to form synergies
- Make use of the excellent European research infrastructure at Fraunhofer IISB, LETI and IMEC
- Increase the chances for SME´s to get access to IC makers
- Developing a common strategy for key enabling technologies in the EU
- Stimulate an approach to initiate sustaining partner-ships amongst equipment industry, IC industry and research institutions
- Sustainable research and development as horizontal activities